Monday, June 1, 2009

Frustrated

I am so frustrated with Caroline's homework. She is in second grade and she has more than I would consider to be reasonable at this age. I also teach second grade so I have a pretty good idea of what is fair. We've been dealing with lots of homework ALL year and we've kind of just delt with it. I mean I'd rather have a little too much than too little. And Caroline has grown a lot this year so I hated to complain. BUT......you think they could let up just a little with only 6 days of school left??? Noooooo.......today she came home with 2 math sheets, spelling 12 words 5 times each and these words aren't what I consider second grade words:

1. natural resources 2. conservation 3. recycle 4. fuel 5. crops 6. material 7. technology 8. ecosystem 9.environment 10.pollution 11. consumption 12. energy

They just started learning to write in cursive 2 weeks ago so she has to write all these words in cursive plus her vocabulary words too....which aren't any easier. Wouldn't "cat" be an easier word to practice? Not to mention our state standards don't even have cursive being taught in second. Caroline is a perfectionist and this makes cursive with these words misery. Of course, I tell her not to worry about it. Last week we sent a note letting her teacher know she was up till 9:30 trying to write the words and to excuse her. So her teacher made her do them in class. Most kids love learning to write in cursive.....my kid is learning to dislike it.

Oh....it feels good to vent!

9 comments:

Mommy to those Special Ks said...

WOW that IS frustrating!!!! And with 6 days of school left you KNOW their grades are already turned in anyway! Those are some crazy words for a second grader. Wow. 6 more days! Tell her to hang on!

Unknown said...

Oh my gosh! Those poor kiddo's must be very frustrated at this point. That's sad really. At least the year is almost over.

Anonymous said...

That is way to much, and the teacher is risking losing a good student because she is pushing too hard. I'm glad for your daughter's sake the year is almost over! She'll know that much more next year too.

Lacey said...

Geez, that is way to much for a second grader. Do they want our kids to be childhood genious's or what.

Emily said...

Holy cow! My 4th grader is getting words like that... but 2nd grade!? Crazy! You have every right to be frustrated. Especially when school is almost over! Good luck!

Melissa said...

Poor Caroline. She is working hard in school while we are playing. Tell her to hang on. Not many days left. After learning to spell those words she deserves a break!!

Kathryn M. said...

I think a eco terrorist has taken over the body of Caroline's teacher. Move on down to Currituck, all we're doing is watching movies, award ceremonies, class parties and field day tomorrow in 90 degree weather!!! Without an inch of shade. I'm so glad I volunteered to help tomorrow!

JennyH said...

Those are hard words....especially for 2nd graders! And cursive to add on top of that! WOW.

I know here they start cursive in 2nd grade as well. Max will, of course, be exempt from that. However, down the road he will be at least learning how to read cursive.

At school is almost over for her.

Beth in NC said...

Wow, that teacher is really pushing. Does she want those kids ready for college in 4 years? Ha.

Mercy.