So I thought it would be interesting to see how other people view certain issues. This particular issue has been on my mind for quite some time and I'd thought I'd just throw it out and see what you think.
A group of children attend public school. The majority of the children receive free or reduced lunch on a daily basis. The other children pay $1.50 each day for their lunch. The lunchroom offers a slushie that is an additional 75 cents. Should a child who is on free or reduced lunch be able to purchase a slushie daily, weekly, monthly, or not at all?
Since I am asking your opinion, I will share mine as well. I see this situation every day. Most of the time, it is my free and reduced students who get a slushie. (ok I legally I'm not suppose to know which kids get free and reduced lunch but hello....you can tell by who brings their lunch money to school.) Not all of the children but the same four or five are buying slushies. Some of these children buy two slushies every day. That adds up to $1.50.....that's right the same as the cost of lunch. Usually one or two of my paying students get slushies once in awhile. I believe that all the children should be able to buy slushies, but I don't feel it is right that Free and Reduced Lunch children can buy them every day when there are paying students that can't afford them. So what's YOUR opinion?
7 comments:
honestly? My opinion? Why does the school sell slushies anyway!? That doesn't seem like a daily required thing - maybe a treat once a week or so. Gah. I can't stand the 'extras' they have at my daughter's school - they can add on breadsticks, muffins, cookies, chips to their lunch. Really!? We let her get ONE extra on Fridays, if she's had a good week (and then she gets a giant muffin and is too full to eat her lunch...)
Since you're asking... I would have to say that I would kind of see it like you do. If you can buy two slushies, you should be buying lunch, even if it's just that day, though I realize that's not the way it works. And if we're being honest, it reminds me alot of our current trend toward the working paying for the non-working in general. I pay my mortgage and go without what many people would consider the "normal" things in order to do so responsibly, but those near me who have been totally irresponsible and continue to spend poorly and on unnecessary things are not paying their mortgage and therefore get a "break" and help in doing so. Rewarding poor behavior it seems. (Not in the slushie scenario....at least for the kids. They aren't at fault.)
Sorry...off the soapbox!
I have to agree with you. Some people will get all the breaks they can and get other people to pay for everything they can, and then they buy all the extra's and dress in the latest fashion. But I also agree that they don't need slushies every day.
Well, could it be that the other kids don't get slushies every day because their parents don't let them? My kids school has ice cream every day but I really don't want them eating ice cream EVERY day. I tell them they can get ice cream on Fridays only... not because of the money but because of the sugar in it and I'm just mean like that! LOL
I agree though that if kids can afford to by two slushies EVERY day, they should be able to pay full price for lunch.
On that note, I want a slushie! :)
Guess I should have read Michelle's comment first! LOL
first...why are there slushies at school??? but anyways i would assume the kids that get free lunches come from families who have financial struggles. so it's not fair that they can't enjoy the same privileges as the students that can afford to buy slushies.
so with that said, i think that if a free child can afford to buy slushies than they can afford to buy lunch and they should do so. and this should be better tracked if it's such a problem. now for those free kids that can't afford slushies i think that they should be able to have a free slushie from time to time if they want one. perhaps have a voucher for one free slushie or week or something like that.
You know how I feel about it! My kids have a slushies ummm ZERO this year! If they can buy that crap - they can buy their own lunch!
Post a Comment