Thursday, October 23, 2008

Close Call

My mom's house caught on fire today. Luckily, it was contained to one room and nobody was hurt. She was busy doing laundry when her 5 year old dryer caught on fire. They had 2 volunteers arrive at the scene first. Then 3 firetrucks and 1 ambulance. It was quite a seen for a small town and neighborhood. Thank goodness, she didn't go the grocery store down the road or take a nap while the dryer was running. I try not to leave the dryer on if we leave the house, but I have gone to bed with it running at night. NOT ANYMORE! The smoke was so bad that it has covered her whole house and belongings with soot. So she is now living with us until all the insurance "stuff" is taken care of and all is cleaned up. We are so thankful it wasn't any worse! Another lesson learned.....never leave your dryer on unattended!
Update.....here is a picture of the dryer.

9 comments:

Shannon @ Gabi's World said...

You know my hubby was a volunteer firefighter years back and now he does fire education in people's homes and one of the first thing he teaches is to NEVER go to sleep with your dryer on! Glad no one was hurt.

Michelle said...

Oh, how scary! Glad your mom is okay.

Frogs' mom said...

I'm so glad to hear the fire was contained and nobody was hurt! How scary for your mom!



On a lighter note - I've tagged you over at 4-frogs :0)

Kim said...

WOW. I am so glad that she is ok and her two dogs. Well aleast you have time to spend with your mom lol.

heidi marie said...

wow...i'm glad she is okay. thanks for posting this, i never even gave it a thought! now i know not to leave it running when i'm not around.

My name is Sarah said...

very scary. My mom always goes to bed with the dryer on. No more she says. Glad all the people were safe.

datri said...

How scary! Glad no one was hurt and there wasn't too much damage. I certainly won't sleep with the dryer running anymore!

JennyH said...

Holy smokes!! I let my dryer run all the time- night, day, when I'm gone...

Glad she was there to catch it and is OK.

Michelle said...

oh my goodness! How scary that must have been. So glad it wasn't worse than it already was and that she is ok!