Saturday, February 14, 2009
Did I really??
Our school has a company that puts out discounted books for teachers to purchase. They have a wide range of books that range from educational to personal interest. Well, I saw these recipe books to my daughter. It is a book where you hand write family recipes and then pass it on to your daughter to own. What a wonderful idea! I would love to have a book like this from my mother. How many times do I call her asking about a recipe. Well, I was getting ready to place my order and it came to quantity. How many do I get? DID I REALLY JUST THINK THAT? Of course, I should order three! I have three girls! But......I thought will Mattie need one? Will she live with me or have a family of her own? Will she be able to read and understand it? How shameful of me to even think that! Of course, I will order Mattie one. I can't even believe I let that cross my mind, but I guess it is human. I have always treated Mattie just like my older girls. Why would this be any different? Sometimes it is assumed that my older girls will go to school, move out of the house, get married, etc. I don't know what their future holds and I don't know Mattie's either. They may all get married or they may not. They may go to college they may not. The point is that it doesn't really matter. What matters is that my girls are loved and are happy!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
I have moments of thoughts like that as well. We always think of Ella as no different from anyone else but then I sometimes catch myself talking about "when you drive" or "when you get married" and I too wonder, will this happen with Ella. I like the way you put it....we don't really know what any of their futures will hold.
That is such a tough balance. We want to have high hopes, but at least in my experience, I don't want my hopes too high that I will be disappointed or hurt somehow. And I don't want to push too hard either.
Just read your interview at 5M4Special Needs. Thanks!
Kim, I'm sorry I'm so darn behind with things! I know what you mean about this... it seems like it sneaks up on me, wondering about things that surprise me. But in a way it's reality, and you're right...it is human. But our girls will most likely surprise us no matter what we expect, every last one of them!
I'd love to have Miss Mattie cook for me one day. :o)
Post a Comment